GENERAL DEFINITION: Provide legal options, resources, and advocacy to victims of domestic violence.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide direct service to victims of domestic violence, including crisis intervention, law enforcement, justice system and or court accompaniment, advocacy, and referral services.
- Assist clients with filing protective orders and restraining orders, collaborate with local attorneys to provide pro bono legal representation, and assist clients with crime victims compensation claims.
- Maintain a working knowledge of legal and community resources in order to assist victims of domestic violence while navigating the legal system.
- Assist clients with filling out crime victim’s compensation applications and completing the claims process.
- Communicate with Collin County District Attorney office, police departments, and victim liaison as necessary to help expedite crime victim compensation applications.
- Provide services in English and Spanish.
- Collaborate with Legal Aid of Northwest Texas and other legal firms and private attorneys to recruit attorneys to provide pro-bono representation to clients.
- Preserve and enhance Hope’s Door image in the community through all interactions.
- Maintain networking contacts with other area agencies as appropriate.
- At every opportunity, inform community members of services available to victims of domestic violence.
- Participate in any agency staff development workshops.
- Provide trainings as needed to other staff on legal advocacy and community resources.
- Adhere to Agency and Victim Services Program budgetary guidelines.
- Assist clients with registering into the VINE system (Victim Information Notification Every Day).
- Collaborate with the victim advocates in the police departments in Collin County in order to file/request police reports.
- Assist clients throughout the UVISA application process.
- Assist clients with completing Applications for the Address Confidentiality Program.
- Register with Legal Advocacy Network (LAN).
- Attend weekly supervision meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by Hope’s Door Executive Management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner and meet minimum performance standards. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required.
- Excellent organizational, communication (verbal and written), problem solving, listening and inter-personal skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under stressful circumstances.
- Ability to empathize, encourage and guide.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Criminal Justice or related field required.
- Crisis counseling experience preferred.
- Must be sensitive to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds and to varying value systems, attitudes and languages.
- Experience working with victims of family violence preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English and Spanish preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government/funding entity regulations. Ability to write reports regarding business correspondence and case notes.
- Ability to deliver oral presentations in a variety of public speaking venues. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of students, managers, clients, and the general public. (teachers, counselors, principals)
- Reasoning ability to comprehend all facets of program delivery within the collaborative networking system; ability to skillfully train and oversee all written documentation required for program and financial compliance as required by program funder. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Possesses a means of reliable transportation, with current required Texas liability, and has the ability to travel throughout Collin County to multiple location sites.
The work environment includes office settings, shelter centers, churches, and open air settings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Application Process: forward resume to email@example.com