Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
I. Purpose & Summary of Position:
The Texas Council on Family Violence is a statewide organization representing a network of domestic violence programs that provide direct services to victims and their families, and serves as the voice of victims at the state level while working with local communities to create strategies to prevent family violence.
The Communications Manager directs the Council’s overall communications efforts identified by the CEO and Management Team. He/She has primary responsibility for all publications development and coordinates writing of content for TCFV’s marketing and communications vehicles, including electronic strategies, website integration, member communications and social media. Develops content with programmatic staff for web sites, print pieces and all other agency collateral. Strongly informs and leads implementation of communication plans and strategies. Requires high energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
II. Priority functions / Accountabilities
- Project Coordination
- Work with a diverse set of expertise across three programmatic teams to take knowledge and transform it into exciting, useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Highly collaborative style, relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by positive influence”
- Acts as implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Program and Service Delivery
- Brings creative lens to bolster existing projects and identify new approaches/projects
- Regularly evaluates the performance of communication strategies.
- Prioritizes program and operational initiatives to meet strategic goals and objectives.
3. Financial / Administrative
- Manages agency’s resources responsibly
- Develops and maintains sound financial practices with contractors and vendors
- Works with program staff and CEO to prepare annual communications budget.
III. Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Superior writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer and graphic design skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in budgeting and program development, project coordination.
- Demonstrated high integrity and fiduciary responsibility in managing resources.
- Knowledge of the issues and circumstances faced by those experiencing domestic violence.
- Dedicated, energetic and detail oriented and thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work under tight and/or changing timelines; disciplined time management skills to coordinate and prioritize own and others’ activities, evaluate progress and provide feedback; and to reallocate resources to complete activities within set deadlines.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in a field related to journalism and communications and/or electronic strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Bi-lingual Spanish language skills preferred.
IV. Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands: Ability to read, write and converse in English, to travel as needed and tolerate prolonged sitting or standing. Must possess the emotional and physical stamina to deal with a variety of stressful situations, such as: responding to complaints; handling difficult internal and external interactions; effectively working long and, at times, odd hours; maintaining a sense of humor throughout.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and minimum level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for the position. The employee will be required to perform any other job-related duties as required by the job objectives, the CEO and mission and philosophy of TCFV.