Mandatory Fees Toolkit (S.B. 82)
During the 81st legislative session, the Texas Council on Family Violence championed several successful bills as a part of our Legislative Agenda, including Senate Bill 82. SB 82, authored by Senator Jane Nelson and sponsored by Representative Joe Moody, will provide an increase in funding to family violence programs by making it mandatory for a family violence offender receiving probation to pay a $100 fee that goes to a local family violence center.
By making this fee mandatory, SB 82 significantly increases this funding source for centers and thus increases access to family violence services for victims, while at the same time holding abusers accountable for violent behavior.
In order to assist programs with the collection of this fee, we have developed the following toolkit which includes documents such as a Frequently Asked Questions document and template letters to use in your community.
• SB 82: History, Implementation, and How It Affects Your Community
• Frequently Asked Questions: Implementation of SB 82
• Frequently Asked Questions on SB 82 Eligibility: Definition of Family Violence Center
• Template Letter: Single Provider County to Collection Entities
• Template Letter: Multiple Provider County to Collection Entities
• Template Letter: County Commissioner or other Recipient
• SB 82 Bill Text
TCFV can provide technical assistance as you move forward with implementing SB 82 in your community. Please contact Aaron Setliff (email@example.com) or Molly Voyles (firstname.lastname@example.org) on the Policy Team for additional guidance.